Senior Head of Group – MicroNano Systems Centre
Tyndall National Institute
Cork, County Cork
Reporting to the Head of the MicroNano Systems Centre, you will lead the ongoing development of the EU Programme Office to deliver strategic research programme funding from Horizon Europe, in accordance with the Institute’s strategic growth plan, ‘Tyndall 2025’. You will also play a key role in the strategic development of the ‘Beyond CMOS’ research activities at Tyndall.
As a senior research leader within Tyndall, you will be a major contributor to creating and executing Tyndall’s strategic research vision. You will help develop and expand our vibrant world-class research ecosystem and community of 600 staff and postgraduate students. Tyndall’s research activities span from atoms to systems with multidisciplinary teams and collaborations spanning MicroNano Systems, Photonics, Systems Integration and Packaging, Quantum Engineering and Energy. You will be pivotal in fostering and developing deep collaborations across all of Tyndall’s research teams, as well as nationally through SFI research centres such as AMBER and CONNECT, and internationally through programmes such as the Horizon Europe funding framework.
You are an internationally recognised and visionary leader and you will be responsible for driving research and industrial engagement strategy as well as people development strategy which will lead to an overall expansion in the size and impact of Tyndall and the MicroNano Systems Centre as well as ensuring its long-term sustainability.
The post offers a superb opportunity for an accomplished and ambitious research leader to realise their research vision working on disruptive and transformative new technologies at the interface between academia and industry.
- Deliver strategic leadership, people and programme management of the EU Programme Office with responsibility for scaling EU activities to grow Tyndall’s profile and reputation as a world-leading research institute, and as a global thought leader, in accordance with the Institute’s Tyndall 2025 strategic plan.
- Provide strategic leadership and programme management for Tyndall’s ‘Beyond CMOS’ research activities within the CMOS++ strategic research cluster (and/or any subsequent development of these organisational and strategic units), with responsibility for maximising the Cluster’s contributions to the Tyndall 2025 strategic goals. This will include championing the establishment of scaled research programmes that focus on the development of strategic, breakthrough technology platforms, both internally and with industry and academic partners, resulting in new ideas, innovative commercialisable solutions.
- Support the development and implementation of an ambitious research vision and strategy for Tyndall and the MicroNano Systems Centre that leverages the unique infrastructure, capabilities and full range of expertise of the institute.
- Make major contributions to the delivery of the Tyndall 2025 strategic plan, leading and participating in strategic actions and/or working groups as requested by the CEO or nominee.
- Attract, develop and retain a cohort of future leaders at all levels within Tyndall and support their development to enable Tyndall’s growth and long-term sustainability, providing leadership, management, coaching and mentoring as required.
- Foster and enable a deep, collaborative, team culture across the MNS Centre and the wider institute.
- Lead and/or lead others in successful bids for competitive large scale (multi-million €) grants/awards from national and European funding sources, and industry, to increase the scale and critical mass of the strategic research activities within the MNS Centre and across Tyndall.
- Position and promote Tyndall, the MNS Centre, the CMOS++ Research Cluster and relevant PIs/researchers for high profile engagement and thought leadership within the international research community.
- Work with the Commercial Centre and hosted centres such as AMBER, CONNECT and MCCI to ensure that opportunities for technology transfer, IP licensing and start-ups are maximised.
- Ensure high levels of Education and Public Engagement (EPE) activity across areas of responsibility in coordination with the wider EPE programmes within Tyndall.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the seniority of the post, as requested by the Tyndall CEO and/or nominee.
- A PhD in Physics, Electronic Engineering or a closely related topic.
- Deep understanding of technologies, trends and innovations relating to one or more of the following areas: Microsystems, Nanotechnology, ‘Beyond CMOS’, Quantum.
- Extensive success in delivering large scale programmes, strategic partnerships and funding from national, EU, international agencies and industry
- Excellent and growing international profile as a thought leader in Microsystems and ‘Beyond CMOS’
- Senior experience in leading world-class research teams in an academic or industrial environment.
- Strong evidence of successful development and implementation of strategic research plans
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as taking a leadership role in a matrix organisation structure.
- Strong personal vision and ambition.
- Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Direct experience of postgraduate supervision and mentoring up to PhD level.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Cian O Mathuna at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment may be made on the Grade 9 (Snr Admin III) Scale B range €76,824 - €107,749 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing date for application is 1pm on 11th June, 2021