Superconductive Ceramic Multi-strand Electric Wire - US patent # 7,632,784
We sell or license our US patent # 7,632,784 and knowhow teaching cost-effective Chemical Ceramic nanotechnology to produce Superconductive Ceramic Electric Wire Round Strands that at liquid nitrogen temperature can transmit 50x more electricity, have 10x less cost/performance ratio, save 10% power and as usable, flexible, durable and reliable as copper wire strands at room temperature.
32 years ago, two Nobel Prize winners discovered High Temperature Superconductor (HTS) ceramic crystals that at easily achievable cryogenic temperature can transmit without heat losses enormous amount of electric current. Meanwhile, until now HTS macro-ceramic products and 1G and 2G HTS electric tapes are not yet on the open market due to high capital and production costs, tape form and usability, quality and reliability drawbacks.
In contrast with 1G and 2G HTS Mechanical Engineering technology, we invented Chemical Ceramic nanotechnology, which processes suspension in toluene of initial HTS ceramic crystals with liquid silicone and silver powder additives and consists of::
1) Thermo-chemical nanofabrication of full dense sintered 3G HTS macro-ceramic material with self-assembled honeycomb-like nano-architecture, where ceramic crystal grains surround (caged by) glass films and silver dots that result in inter- and inner-grain uniform superconductivity;
2) Flexible 3G HTS ceramic wire strands, where metal substrate strands dip adhesion coated by HTS ceramic suspension with further thermo-chemical nanofabrication of integral and 10 micron thin (and therefore, flexible) 3G HTS ceramic layer; and
3) “[Metal substrate strand reel] – to – [HTS strand reel]” conveyor production line to continuously manufacture 3G HTS round strands that can be twisted into multi-strand electric wire or cable with required electric current carrying capacity. 3G HTS strands at easily achievable LN temp-re can carry with insignificant heat losses electric current density J = 10kA/cm2 while copper wire at room temp-re is used with electric current carrying capability J = 0.2kA/cm2, which is 50 times less. At room temp-re, 3G HTS strands can transmit 2 – 3x more electricity than copper strands of equal diameters. Full dense sintering process provides integral, continuous and uniform 3G HTS ceramic coating layer of the strand to efficiency transmit electric current. Sintered 3G HTS ceramics are permanently reliable and durable in air or LN coolant ambience.
Our US Patent #7,632,784 and knowhow cover our previous US patents #6,617,284, 6,239,079, 6,010,983 and approved:
1) by 3 groups of experts,
2) in 14 our peer reviewed journal publications, and
3) by 15 our presentations at the American Ceramic, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Research, NSTI Nano-Tech and New Jersey Technical Council society meetings.
Additional Technical Advantages of 3G HTS Wire
1. In contrast with a tape form wire, round form of 3G HTS strands and multi-strand wire are usable and efficient for cables as well as for coils of electric motors, transformers.
2. Open surface contacts of round 3G HTS strands allow compensation of the breaches of superconductivity in neighbor strands, which assure reliability of the multi-strand wire or cable.
3. Surface contacts allow splitting connection/joining of pieces of multi-strand wires or cables.
4. Round form of HTS wires and cables makes easier design of their cooling systems.
5. The use of 3G HTS cables with their cooling jackets for nonflammable LN coolant (no cooling oil), 5x decreases width of high power cable underground tranches within towns or cities. 6. Permanent reliability of 3G HTS multi-strand wire and its Electrical Engineering applications.
Invented 3G HTS multi-strand electric wire can result in:
1. Multi-strand 3G HTS electric wire for: (i) electric motors, transformers, cables, and generator rotors with 5x reduced costs, weights and diameters, (ii) cost-effective electric grids; (iii) supercomputer cables; and (iv) Current limiters on the electric grids;
2. Electromagnetic propulsion jet engines for aircrafts and high-speed ships;
3. Superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES) systems for an assurance of the electric grids and for fast recharging of electric cars to substitute large batteries;
4. 3g HTS ceramic coating surfaces of any configuration, incl. antennas and radar shields;
5. Pellets and other bulk leads for magnetic levitation (MagLev) high-speed trains.
6. 10% reduction of power consumption and Environment heating due to elimination of heat losses in all power transmission and application systems, equipment and devices.
We invented and developed 3G HTS ceramic coated strands with dia. = 0.06mm have NiCr-metal strand substrate with dia. = 0.04mm. Production of 3G HTS strands with dia. = 0.06mm should cost $0.1/meter and these strands at LN temp-re carry electric current, as does it copper strands with dia. = 0.6mm at room temperature. Electric copper strands with dia. = 0.6mm cost on the open market $1.2/meter. For 3G HTS strands with dia. = 0.06mm, we can assign an attractive price $1.1/meter. Typical technological line would cost $2 mill and produce 10,000 km/year-strands. It brings plant owners $10 mill/year pre-tax profit at ROI = 500%. The plant with 30 typical production lines will bring $300 mill/year pre-tax profit. Electrical Engineering applications of HTS multi-strand electric wire would by 5 – 7x decrease cost, weight, diameter (size), and 10% heat losses of electric cables, motors, and transformers. The US Department of Energy estimated the worldwide market for usable, reliable and durable HTS electric wire and all its Electrical Engineering applications as $200bill/year where electric wire comprises at least 45% the total end-product costs or $90 billion/year.